Friday, May 22, 2009

It Begins! A Black Power Summer....

( Prepping for the Prospectus and Dissertation, Spring 2010)

If you know me, then you know I like to have my ducks in a row before I do anything. ANYTHING. That doesn't inhibit my absolutely charming randomness, but I like my shit to be tight at the end of the day, careerwise.

Anywho, here are some books I'll be working my way through this summer:

Secondary Works:

1) "New Thoughts on the Black Arts Movement", Lisa Collins and Margo Crawford (Dr. Crawford is awesome!)
2) "The Black Arts Movement," James Smethurst. (Smethurst rocks!)
3) "Wrestling With the Muse," Melba Boyd (Amazing woman and mentor)
4) "Waiting 'Til the Midnight Hour", Peniel E. Joseph (Nice guy)
5) "After Mecca", Cheryl Clarke (Brilliant)
6) "Black Power", Jeffrey Ogbar

As you can see from many of the above descriptions, I have a lot to live up to :-)

Primary Sources:

1) "Black Power", Stokely Carmichael and Charles V. Hamilton
2) Collected/Selected poetry of Nikki Giovanni, Sonia Sanchez, Don L. Lee, Amiri Baraka, Jayne Cortez, Larry Neal, Gwendolyn Brooks, and others
3) "Rebellion or Revolution?" Harold Cruse
4) "Black Fire", Amiri Baraka and Larry Neal
5) "The Black Woman", Toni Cade Bambara
6) "Soledad Brother", George Jackson
7) "Revolutionary Suicide", Huey Newton
8) "The Wretched of the Earth" and "Black Skin, White Masks", Frantz Fanon
9) "White Man, Listen!", Richard Wright

...The list continues...I'll try to post some book reviews. If you all have any suggestions, hook it up!!

Until then, I'll continue to complain about Amherst, which currently smells of hot-ass cow.

Later.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

3 comments:

  1. am also prepping for the material ill use in my dissertation, i am tryna be in and out this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that...this can't go any slower. It's getting a bit better though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reading list makes me excited!!!

    ReplyDelete